Sunday, June 26, 2016

How do I find the perfect lever harp for me?


Eeny, meeny, miny, moe - which is the best harp!  Since I am frequently involved in helping students and friends buy or sell their harps; I want to share what I think is important in choosing THE one.  Finding the perfect harp for you can be a daunting process, especially if you are new to the harp world.  There are almost limitless variables to consider and since a good harp is a big investment, you want to be as informed as possible.  Initially, I always advise new students to rent for a few months, for a couple of reasons - first, to make sure that playing the harp is something you want to pursue; and second, to become better versed on what is the best harp for you.  After playing for just a little while, you will develop an ear, appreciate the sounds of different styles of harps and develop preferences.

Since most beginners will start on a lever harp, the focus here will be on smaller harps.  We will discuss additional features of pedal harps at a later date.

In making your selection, you first have to be able to answer the questions below.  Your teacher will be a big asset in helping you:

How many strings to I want on my harp? Folk harps range from 28 strings to 40.
Do I want full levers, none, or partial?
Is ease of moving the harp important to me?
Do I want new harp with a warranty and a higher price tag, or used "as is"?
What string spacing works most comfortably with my hand?
Do I like looser tension or tighter?
Is the size right for my height - is it comfortable to sit behind the harp?
Which type of harp back feels best resting on my shoulder - square (stave back) or round?
Is the harp strung in folk or pedal gauge strings?  Which feels best on my finger tips?
Is nylon the sound that I like or do I prefer the sound of gut strings?
Is the harp made by a reputable manufacturer?
How much am I willing to spend?
And lastly, what wood finish and overall look do I like?  Strictly a personal decision there.

If you are considering a used harp.  There are many places to look for a quality used instrument.  Again, help will be invaluable in this area from your teacher.  When purchasing used, here are some additional questions to ask the seller:
   Age of harp - serial number.  The age can be verified with the manufacturer.
   History of ownership - original owner?
   Has it been keep strung, regularly played?
   Where has it been housed?
   What accessories come with it?
   Any cracks and dings - are they structural or merely cosmetic which can be repaired?

   Be sure to play the harp and assess the sound and feel.  Then weigh the cost and quality of a
   used harp at a lower price with the comparable new harp with a warranty.

GOOD LUCK - and happy harping!



0 comments: